Lethargy and Money Don’t Mix

October 28, 2011

Like oil and water, lethargy and money don’t mix!  Look around at wealthy and successful people– are they slackers or over-achievers?  Then take a look at the least successful; are they the hardest workers?  You can draw your own conclusions, although I think I can predict the outcome.  Samuel Goldwyn (co-founder of MGM) has an [...]

Read the full article →

Business is a “Numbers Game”

October 27, 2011

I recently attended a seminar where the speaker reminded the audience that business is a “numbers game.” Not necessarily of the accounting and record-keeping variety, but the sales, marketing, and promotional activities. You see, the more sales calls you make the more sales you’re likely to have; the more people that enter your place of [...]

Read the full article →

No Envidies Mi Progreso Sin Saber Mi Sacrificio

October 24, 2011

This Spanish saying is posted conspicuously in the office of the auto repair shop where I regularly take my automobile for servicing.  In English it means:  “Don’t envy my progress without knowing my sacrifice!  And the message is so true.  We see the results of someone’s efforts– prosperity and success– without understanding all that went [...]

Read the full article →

Bank Robbers

October 21, 2011

The tables have turned– now it’s the banks doing the robbing!  The recent public outrage at the nation’s largest bank (BofA) plan to charge debit cardholders a monthly fee for using their cards to make purchases is the latest example.  Bank of America’s announcement stirred an unprecedented negative reaction.  Senator Dick Durbin even suggested that [...]

Read the full article →

The End of the Middle Class

October 17, 2011

The middle class has shrunk so much in the last twenty-five years that it has almost disappeared.  It’s now the rich or the poor!  And you need to choose sides. (I recommend rich.) When I lived in Los Angeles I remember a UCLA study that revealed a shocking (50%) decline in the middle-class with a [...]

Read the full article →

Russian News Report on Wall Street Protests

October 13, 2011

Russian news propaganda is jumping on board with coverage of demonstrator dissatisfaction with U.S. corporate greed and corruption.  Shades of the “Great Depression”?  See YouTube video:

Read the full article →

How to Save Money on Prescription Drugs

October 10, 2011

Some people need prescription drugs to stay alive!  Others need medication to adequately function or enjoy quality of life.  But what if you can’t afford the medication(s) you need?  There are ways to reduce out-of-pocket costs for these life-saving, life-enhancing necessities. I remember at one point I needed injections which cost over $300 per day!  [...]

Read the full article →

Back to Basics in Personal Finance

October 3, 2011

You’ve tried new investment strategies and schemes to increase your income.  Perhaps it’s time to revisit the strategies that worked so well for so many years. Decades ago consumers bought what they needed and shopped for price.  They didn’t indulge every whim or desire.  They concentrated on essentials and necessities. Previous generations looked at their [...]

Read the full article →

Do You Spend $60-$70 a Day?

September 30, 2011

Do You Spend $60-$70 a Day? If you do, you’re average!  According to Gallup survey data daily U.S. consumer spending in “stores, restaurants, gas stations, and online” averaged $68 per day in August, down from $74 in July.  Upper income Americans (above $90,000 annually) spend $119/day. As a Personal Financial Survival reader/subscriber your goal shouldn’t [...]

Read the full article →

Full-Time Employees Now a Minority

September 28, 2011

Yes it’s true, if you-re a full-time employee in America in 2011, you’re in the minority!  Only 47% of the U.S. workforce now holds a full-time position; the remaining 53% are either unemployed or work part-time. (Source: New York Post, Sept 4, 2011).  Holding onto your job seems to be a priority, and as a [...]

Read the full article →